Thursday, September 25, 2008

UAlbany Football's Offensive Tackle Raphael Nguti Attracts NFL Scouts

NFL scouts' eyes trained on Dane

ALBANY — Eighteen NFL teams have visited the University at Albany campus to study senior offensive tackle Raphael Nguti, including the Arizona Cardinals scout who showed up on Wednesday to watch film.

That's a lot of scrutiny for Nguti, who didn't even think he'd play college ball entering his senior year at Brighton High School in Rochester.

"I try not to think about it too much," Nguti said. "When they come out to practice, I find myself kind of staring over to see if they're looking at me and make sure I'm doing everything right. It's exciting and a little bit nerve-racking, but I try to continue to keep myself focused."

The attention hasn't affected his play. The 6-foot-7, 328-pound left tackle has paved the way for the Great Danes, who face 12th-ranked Delaware on Saturday evening in Newark, Del.

Protecting the blind side of quarterback Vinny Esposito, Nguti will face a challenge against Delaware defensive end Ronald Talley, a Notre Dame transfer who's third on the Blue Hens with 12 tackles, four for losses.

"He's explosive off the ball," Nguti said. "It's a great challenge for me and I look forward to it. Hopefully, I can rise up and play to that level and help us get a win."

It was hard to envision Nguti blocking a player of Talley's caliber when he arrived at UAlbany as a 389-pound freshman. He had a weakness for fast food, leaving high school during free periods for Burger King, McDonald's and Taco Bell, and eating late at night.

"I was hefty," he recalled with a smile. "None of the guys will ever let me live it down."

UAlbany redshirted Nguti his first season and he lost about 30 pounds that season by changing his diet and eating habits. He also gave credit to UAlbany strength and conditioning coach Tony Tullock, and later on assistant Justin Goulet, for helping him to sculpt his physique.

"The first year was tough because all the guys I redshirted with wanted to go out and eat some pizza, or they're in the dining hall eating ice cream," he said. "I really had to stick to eating better. Once the weight was off, it became second nature not to do those things."

Although Nguti is coveted now for his size, he was out of shape in high school and not recruited heavily.

"Going into my senior year, I didn't have pretty much any plans to play college football," Nguti said.

He changed his plans when UAlbany assistant coach Ryan McCarthy noticed him on film, liked his footwork for a big man, and began to pursue him heavily.

Nguti felt comfortable enough at UAlbany that he turned down an offer to walk on at Syracuse with a chance to earn a scholarship. He drew some late interest from New Hampshire, Villanova and Fordham but enjoyed UAlbany head coach Bob Ford's direct approach with players.

In exchange, Ford has gotten an extremely productive player who earned first-team all-Northeast Conference honors at right tackle last season. Nguti switched to left tackle this year when incumbent Justin Tougas of Queensbury decided not to return for a final season.

"He's playing very well," Ford said. "He's obviously a huge kid. He is a good pass-protection blocker and a good run blocker. He's obviously a pro suspect."

Nguti hopes to become the third Great Dane to be drafted by the NFL, following linebacker Kurt Campbell in 2005 and cornerback Rashad Barksdale in 2007.
"For me being so close right now, in my last year of college football, it's just exciting," he said. "Hopefully I can stay healthy and show everybody I can play at that level."

By M.Singelais

No comments:

Web Site Hit Counters
Precision M4300