Wednesday, June 10, 2009

University of Albany´s Luke Schoen, Alie Beauvais and Joe Greene Advance in NCAA Track & Field Qualifying - UAlbany Sports 2009

Courtesy: UAlbany Sports Information

Fayetteville, Ark. – University at Albany’s Luke Schoen reached the men's pole vault final and Alie Beauvais and Joe Greene each advanced to the men’s 400-meter intermediate hurdles semifinals at the NCAA Division I Track and Field Championships on Wednesday, June 10 at the University of Arkansas’ John McDonnell Field. UAlbany sent a program-high four student-athletes to the national competition.

Schoen, an indoor and outdoor All-American who missed nearly the entire month of May due to a hamstring injury suffered at Penn Relays, cleared 17-feet, 2.75-inches to advance to the final of the pole vault for the second consecutive year. He will compete against 13 other student-athletes on Friday at 4:45 p.m. Eastern.

“I warmed up about three times as much as I normally do,” said Schoen, who almost pulled his hamstring again on one of his first accelerations while warming up. “I cleared the first height on my third attempt, but I was able to make the third height on my first try to advance to the final. It feels good. I am much more confident going into the final than last year since I know all the guys.”

Beauvais, who was an at-large selection based on his second-place performance at the IC4A championship, won the opening heat of the 400-meter hurdles in 50.41 seconds. Beauvais, whose mark was the fourth-fastest time of the day, is in his first season with the UAlbany program. A native of Hempstead, N.Y., he transferred from Lincoln University in Missouri.

“This was my first appearance (at NCAAs), but I went in thinking that this was just a regular track meet,” explained Beauvais, who trailed Nebraska’s Kirkland Thornton for most of the race before catching him on the final straightaway. “The runner ahead of me (Thornton) was moving fast, but I stayed in control. Coming towards the end of the race, I picked it up and focused on getting over that last hurdle to finish strong. I did not get to warm up the way I wanted to, but I finished first. I am really excited about tomorrow and the opportunity to get to the finals.”

Greene, a 2007 All-American in the 400-hurdles, advanced to the semifinal for the third time in four years. He was clocked in at 50.73 seconds to finish second in the event's final first-round qualifying heat and post the tenth-best mark of the day. Beauvais and Greene will run in the semifinals on Thursday at 8 p.m. Eastern. In addition, Ricardo Estremera's 3,000-meter steeplechase preliminary race has been delayed due to weather and was not scheduled until later this evening.

-agate-

400-Meter Intermediate Hurdles (First Round): 4. Alie Beauvais 50.41, 10. Joe Greene 50.73. Pole Vault (Qualifying): T-6. Luke Schoen 17-2.75.

No comments:

Web Site Hit Counters
Precision M4300