Thursday, October 18, 2007

Cornhuskers' star Bonitatibus chooses UAlbany

Some recruits make their college choice based on their official visit.

For Yorktown boys lacrosse star Rocky Bonitatibus, things worked out a little bit differently.

Bonitatibus' official trip to the University at Albany late last month pretty much confirmed what he had already decided.

"I was close to committing before my visit and told (Albany) Coach (Scott) Marr that Albany was my No. 1 school," said Bonitatibus, a midfielder who scored 37 goals and 49 points last season to help the 'Huskers win their 26th sectional title in the last 28 years.

Following the visit, Bonitatibus orally committed to accept a scholarship offer from the Great Danes. He expects to sign a binding National Letter of Intent during the November signing period.

"I liked everything," said Bonitatibus, who also considered Army and Le Moyne. "I loved the lacrosse field there. I love that it's a Division I school that really did well last year. And I love Coach Marr."

Marr, a 1987 Yorktown graduate, was named the 2007 United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association Division I national coach of the year after leading Albany to a school-record 15 wins during a season in which the Great Danes rose to as high as No. 2 in the national rankings. Marr is the older brother of Yorktown varsity coach Dave Marr.

"That helps a lot," Bonitatibus said. "I've been with Coach (Dave) Marr a long time and they're both really alike."

Bonitatibus' younger brother Michael, a junior who in 2006 became the first freshman to start in goal for Yorktown since John Martino in 1967, is also high Division I recruit. He's received interest from Hopkins, Syracuse and Cornell. The two were teammates on the Hudson Valley Empire State Games team this past summer.

By JOE LOMBARDI
THE JOURNAL NEWS

No comments:

Web Site Hit Counters
Precision M4300