Monday, January 18, 2010

University of Albany Track & Field Members Lead Clothing Drive for Haitian Earthquake Victims - UAlbany Sports 2010


Albany, N.Y. - A catastrophic and massive earthquake that rocked Haiti last week has touched people around the world. The after effects have reached the University at Albany community where members of the track and field program are dealing with the situation.

Alie Beauvais (pictured), a senior who specializes in the men's 400-meter hurdles, and Raphael Jean-Baptiste, a second-year staff assistant and a member of many America East Conference championship track teams, have family ties to a country where the prime minister believes that 100,000 have died as a result of the quake. Because organizational structures have been destroyed, the United Nations had called it the worst disaster the international group has ever confronted.

Jean-Baptiste, who was born in Haiti, has organized a clothing drive where donations can be dropped off at UAlbany's Chapel House, located on University Drive near SEFCU Arena where the Great Dane indoor team practices. This initial effort will continue through Friday, so that the clothing can be shipped quickly. Jean-Baptiste, who has 30 family members in the Port-au-Prince area who he believes are okay, said light clothing, like t-shirts, pants, wind jackets are needed due to average temperatures of 88 degrees during the day.

"People are in need of a change of clothes due to the conditions," said Baptiste, who went through a period of waiting to hear from loved ones although he is not sure about their homes or property damage. "I feel like I should be there. I don't feel like I am doing much, but I am doing what I can."

Beauvais, who had already piled up nearly 60 articles of his own clothing for the drive, has been filled with emotion while watching his parents, both Haitian natives, try to communicate with relatives. "I heard my mother cry and that broke my heart," Beauvais explained. "My father has not been able to contact my grandmother. I want to help in any way possible; I feel like I should be there pulling people out of the rubble."

Born in Hempstead, N.Y., Beauvais was honored to represent Haiti in the Central American and Caribbean Games last summer after finishing 10th in the 400-hurdles at the NCAA Division I outdoor track championships. "I have clothes in the middle of my room," he said. "It's one step in our efforts; it's a start."

UAlbany Chapel House Clothing Drive for Haiti ***clothing must be boxed or bagged***

Chapel House is located on University Drive West across from the SEFCU Arena on the
University at Albany Campus.

Clothing Drop-Off Schedule (through Friday, Jan. 22)
Tuesday: 12:00-4:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00-1:00 p.m.
Thursday: 9:00-1:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00-1:00 p.m.


Courtesy: UAlbany Sports Information

No comments:

Web Site Hit Counters
Precision M4300