Friday, September 18, 2009

NFL Debut Thrills UAlbany Alum And San Diego Charger Andre Coleman


Andre Coleman lived the unsung existence of an NFL practice-squad player for two seasons, sweating through workouts without getting into a game.

Everything changed for the University at Albany graduate on Monday night, when the defensive end made his pro debut in prime time.

Promoted to the active roster on game day, Coleman participated in 11 plays in the San Diego Chargers' 24-20 victory at the Oakland Raiders.

"It was great," Coleman, 25, said in a phone interview Wednesday night. "It was everything I thought it was. I was excited. Two years of sitting back and watching guys, and I go out there and play on Monday night, especially in Oakland."

He became the second Great Dane to get into an NFL regular-season game, following cornerback Rashad Barksdale, who played the 2007 season with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Coleman's experience was as brief as it was memorable. The Chargers waived him on Tuesday but re-signed him to the practice squad on Wednesday.

There's no assurance he'll play Sunday against Baltimore, or the rest of the season, for that matter.

"Even though I'm on the practice squad, they're still expecting me to know the plays," Coleman said. "Somebody could go down (get injured) and I have to be ready."

That's what happened on Monday, when Chargers defensive end Jacques Cesaire was unavailable because of a calf injury.

Coleman, an undrafted free agent in 2007, entered the game in the second quarter. He lined up opposite Raiders left guard Robert Gallery, a former No. 2 pick in the draft. "I wasn't nervous," Coleman recalled. "The adrenaline was going."

Coleman wasn't credited with a tackle for the game, although he insists he stopped Oakland tailback Michael Bush on his first play.

Afterward, Coleman got a handshake and "good job" from defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. But then it was back to the practice squad because the Chargers needed offensive line help.

On the practice squad, Coleman draws a $5,200 salary per week. He's getting married next month to San Diego native Sali Sanders, who's expecting their first child.

"I'm just happy to be here, especially with the recession and guys having no job," he said. "I have a child on the way and I can't afford to be jobless."

Coleman, a Buffalo native, has no more practice-squad eligibility after this season so he'll have to show San Diego he's worthy of full-time duty.

"For me to be here for three years on the practice squad, that tells me that I'm doing something to show in the coaches' eyes that I'm a good player," he said.

By MARK SINGELAIS

No comments:

Web Site Hit Counters
Precision M4300