Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jon Iati Becomes Director of Basketball Operations at Quinnipiac


Former UAlbany guard Jon Iati reported today that he’s been on the job about a month as Quinnipiac’s new director of basketball operations.

“I really enjoy doing it,” Iati said via cell phone. “I’m glad to be on the staff and trying to get into the business.”

Iati, who just wrapped up his UAlbany playing career, said his aspirations lie in someday becoming a head coach.

“I think most people who are getting into the business eventually want to get there,” he said. “I’m a long, long ways away right now. I want to continue in my position and eventually move up to an assistant’s job, whenever that is.”

Originally, Iati was supposed to work in the UAlbany basketball office this season as a graduate assistant under Kenny Dagostino, the Great Danes’ director of basketball operations.

But then Quinnipiac assistant coach Eric Eaton, who worked at UAlbany from 2005-07, heard through former Great Dane Brent Wilson that Iati was looking for a job. While UAlbany was going to pay for Iati’s classes, the Quinnipiac job was a step up and offered a salary.

“It was a no-brainer,” said Iati, who needs one more class to complete his graduate degree in liberal arts.

Iati acknowledged it was a little odd turning in UAlbany’s purple and gold for Quinnipiac’s blue and gold.

“I’ll always hold Albany in my heart,” he said.

Iati said he’s asked for advice from the UAlbany staff, including Dagostino.

“Right now, I’m just getting adjusted and learning the details of the position, day in and day out,” he said. “I’m still inexperienced and I’ve got a lot of questions that need to be answered.”

Although Iati’s not allowed to be on the court during practice, he is allowed to pull players aside for instruction. But he’s just trying to fit in right now.

“I’m still the (fifth) guy on the totem pole with a head coach and three assistants,” he said. “I’m going to learn and take it all in, especially my first year.”

Iati said when the “time is right,” he might talk to Quinnipiac’s players about the role he took in helping UAlbany win its first two America East titles.

“I’m not going to come out and start boasting about my 1,000-point stats,” he said. “They’re trying to do the same thing here that we did at UAlbany.”

by Mark Singelais

No comments:

Web Site Hit Counters
Precision M4300