Saturday, September 6, 2014

University of Albany CAA Football Shuts Out Central Connecticut State, 19-0, For 100th FCS Win - UAlbany Sports 20141

Courtesy: UA Sports NEW BRITAIN, Conn. – Despite a nearly two hour lightning delay between the first and second halves, the University at Albany football program kept up its intensity on the defensive end from start to finish, overcoming Central Connecticut State, 19-0, Saturday night at Arute Field. The victory improved the Great Danes’ record to 2-0 on the season, while the Blue Devils fell to 1-1. The win also marked the 100th in UAlbany’s FCS program history, as well as the 12th shutout since going Division I. As a team, the Great Danes totaled 310 yards of offense while holding CCSU to 195, including just 21 rushing yards. CCSU running back, Rob Holloman – the reigning FCS Offensive Player of the Week – managed just 33 rushing yard on nine carries against the Danes’ suffocating defense. “I’m happy as heck with them,” said Head Coach Greg Gattuso. “That’s six straight quarters with a zero. I’m happy with their play. They’ve been hustling. We were resilient as usual." Quarterback Will Fiacchi completed 13-of-28 passes for 163 yards, and two touchdown tosses to senior Cole King. King finished the night with two touchdowns, five receptions, and 96 receiving yards. On the ground, senior running back Omar Osbourne led the team with 110 rushing yards, matching a career-high 35 carries. Defensively, UAlbany logged three fumble recoveries and an interception. Michael Nicastro led the squad with 10 tackles (5 solo) and a fumble recovery. Safety T.J. Idowu finished with seven tackles (4 solo) and forced two fumbles, while JoJo McClary had six tackles and a fumble recovery. In addition, Rayshan Clark earned his first career interception, and senior linebacker Christian Dorsey totaled four tackles and a fumble recovery. It didn’t take long for the Great Danes to make a mark, taking a 3-0 lead on their first drive of the contest. Driving 46-yards on 11 plays, Patrick Toole put UAlbany on the board with a 36-yard field goal with 8:44 remaining in the first quarter. Back-to-back three-and-outs set up a sequence of punts for both UAlbany’s Jon Martin and CCSU’s Ed Groth. In the first half, Martin punted four times, averaging 38.8 yards, including two that pinned the Blue Devils inside the 20. Meanwhile, the Danes’ defense forced CCSU to punt five times in the opening half. Starting their drive with 7:20 remaining in the second quarter, the Great Danes struck again barreling their way down the gridiron for a 10-0 head start. Fiacchi led off the nine-play drive with an 18-yard pass to Brian Parker. He followed with a 19-yard pass to Osbourne, and then with 2nd-and-10 on the CCSU 44, Fiacchi found King 12-yards down field. On 3rd-and-7, Osbourne put the Great Danes inside the red zone, scrambling 11 yards through the Blue Devil defense after a screen pass. With 3:29 on the clock, Fiacchi capped the drive, connecting a 17-yard touchdown pass to King, marking the senior’s first touchdown reception of the season. His second didn’t come long after, as the UAlbany defense forced CCSU to punt with 1:55 to go in the half. Groth’s 13-yard punt out of bounds gave the Great Danes the ball on the UAlbany-34 with 1:28 remaining. Osbourne’s explosive 11-yard run and Fiacchi’s 28-yard pass to King moved the chains to the CCSU 27. On 2nd-and-10, Fiacchi connected with King again for a 27-yard touchdown reception, and Toole’s made point-after with seven seconds remaining sent UAlbany into the halftime hiatus with a 17-0 advantage. After lightning delays extended halftime nearly two hours, the Great Danes took a 19-0 lead with 11:55 remaining in the third. UAlbany stifled CCSU’s opening drive, as Zach Troutman logged a sack for a loss of eight yards, and Michael Smith’s quarterback pressure resulted in a six-yard loss, forcing the Blue Devils to punt. The snap from the CCSU-20 sailed high over Groth’s head and into the end zone, resulting in a safety. A steady rain throughout the third quarter wreaked havoc for both offenses, causing a sequence of turnovers. Jojo McClary recovered a fumble after Martin’s punt ricocheted off the chest of Holloman on the return. However, the next play, CCSU took possession back on Jevon Elmore’s interception. Fortunately for the Great Danes, the turnover did not result in any points on the board. Standing firm in the fourth quarter, the Great Danes secured the shutout, as Clark picked off a pass, and Nicastro recovered a fumble after another misplayed punt return. Martin had an outstanding performance on special teams, punting eight times for 321 yards (40.1 avg.), including a 53-yarder and two that pinned CCSU inside the 20. After a bye week, the Great Danes resume action Saturday, September 20th at Rhode Island, marking the first CAA game of the season.

No comments:

Web Site Hit Counters
Precision M4300